Enhance Your Landscape with a Beautiful Garden Path
In many ways, creating a landscape is an artistic pursuit, and perhaps no garden element allows your creativity to shine through as much as creating a garden path.
Creating a garden path is a great way to enhance your enjoyment of the landscape while at the same time providing an attractive site for all who pass by.
Garden paths run the gamut, from formal to informal, winding, meandering paths to arrow-straight ones. Let your imagination be your guide as you create your work of art.
This article will give you a few ideas to enhance your landscape with a beautiful garden path but first, we will talk about a few materials you will need along with the steps to take to start building it.
Materials Needed to Create Your Beautiful Garden Path
The materials used to create the garden path are quite variable as well. Various paving stones, decorative bricks and other materials are available to make the garden path truly unique and special.
In addition to these materials, there are a variety of gravels and other topping materials to make the path even more special and beautiful. The end of your garden path can also be made quite extraordinary, perhaps with the inclusion of a relaxing pond, spectacular fountain or flowing waterfall.
The Steps to Build Your Garden Path
Start building your garden path using steppingstones. First, dig the pathway to a width of two feet or so. Then apply six inches of gravel. After, apply the dirt and pack it in, making sure to round it toward the center of the path. This rounding will help excess water run off more easily. In addition, the layer of stone you have created will help provide natural drainage when the weather is moist.
After the paving stones have been put in place and the garden path is ready, there are many excellent and attractive enhancements you can add.
Garden Path Ideas
- Paving slabs are always a great idea. However, to lower the expense, consider placing them intermittently and apply complimentary colored pea gravel to fill the remaining areas.
- Slate is always chic. It’s perfect if you want a modern look with a rustic touch. Place them side by side with shrubbery or large rocks bordering the pathway.
- Have you ever seen a riverbed? If you are going up a hill, consider mimicking a riverbed for a fascinating look. Use rocks of different sizes, but make sure to use large flat ones that enable a safe walkway. This idea is excellent for achieving a natural look.
- Brick is always an affordable option if they go with the architectural style of your home.
- If you want a cottage appearance, consider pale-colored cobblestones. Plant tall wildflowers on the border to get that cottage enchanting feel.
- To achieve a modern or contemporary clean line look, use limestone, sandstone, or porcelain, which is gaining popularity.
- For a cheaper solution, fill the path with gravel to keep it simple and the least expensive. You can keep it all one color or mix it up to add vibrancy.
Don’t Forget the Border
One way the path can be made more beautiful is by adding a row of flowers along the route, planting a few strategically placed shrubs, and of course, that beautiful garden or garden pond at the end will put the final touches.
Need Help Creating Your Beautiful Garden Path?
If you would like to have a beautiful garden path designed and built to enhance your backyard landscape, contact Fernandez and Sons Landscaping. Our expert landscape design and build team is ready to help you.